GtW was originally operated by the former Grand Haven and Milwaukee Railway (DGH-M), which acquired the Grand Trunk Railway in 1882. Initially, DGH-M entered into agreements with ferry companies operating on Lake Michigan to transport their passengers and cargo on ships departing from Grand Haven, Michigan and Milwaukee.  GTW`s car service began in 1902 with an operating agreement with the Steam Company Crosby Transportation Company. The railway built ferry docks in Grand Haven and Milwaukee and built two steamboats, the SS Grand Haven and the SS Milwaukee, which were able to transport 26 freight cars. In 1905, Grand Trunk Crosby became interested in Grand Trunk and set up the Grand Trunk Milwaukee Car Ferry Company to operate the ships. In Milwaukee, GTW exchanged railroad cars with Milwaukee Road, Chicago and North Western and the transmission line.  The ownership of the ferry company was shared from 1927 to 1954 with the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) and was sailed as the Grand Trunk Pennsylvania Route.  The SS Milwaukee sank loaded with railroad cars in a storm, after leaving Milwaukee in October 1929 and all were lost on board. Three new ships, the Grand Rapids, Madison and the City of Milwaukee, built between 1926 and 1931, replaced the Grand Haven and Milwaukee.  The ships needed a crew of 34 and with reinforced icebreakers that were operating all year round.
 In 1937, at PRR`s request, GTW transferred its wharves in Michigan to Muskegon, Michigan, where its subsidiary, the Muskegon Railway and Navigation Company, began by loading and relocating the ferries. GTW had also modified its route to Mousquegon with track rights via the Grand Rapids PRR line. (2) In accordance with gtW`s agreement on track rights, GTW (called CN in the agreement) agrees that their traffic should not be limited on the line, except that the total number of CN/Union Pacific Railroad Company alternative trains using the Elsdon line between Blue Island (on or near Meilenpost 19.3) and Munster (Milepost 31.07) is limited to two trains per day. See CSXT`s Application, Vol. 2, Exh. E from Exh. E, 3.2 (presented on August 13, 2012). The docket agreement No. 35522 (sub-number 2), in which CSXT grants rights to GTW subsidiaries, sets a similar limit for two trains in each direction per day. See CSXT`s Application, Vol.
2, Exh. Exh F. E, 3.2 (presented on August 13, 2012). In return for relief on the Elsdon Line, CSXT agreed: GTW to grant an exclusive, uncomponsted, uncompused, exclusive rail offload on approximately 3.1 miles of CSXCs Memphis Terminal Subdivision, between Leewood, Tenn., milepost 00F371.4, and Aulon, Tenn, Millepost 00F373.4 (Leewood-Aulon Line). Leewood-Aulon Line is currently owned by CSXT; The Illinois Central Railroad Company (IC), a subsidiary of GTW, is working on the line pursuant to an agreement on railway rights.  CSXT would retain local track and overload rights on the line.  According to GTW, it would assume responsibility for shipping, track maintenance and capital improvements on the Leewood-Aulon Line, including all switching stations, checkpoints and connections, including the Leewood and Aulon constructions themselves.